Thursday, January 20, 2011

My Newest Winter Addiction

Living in the Pacific Northwest I am surrounded by new opportunities to get out and play. It's just a matter of choosing which sport to get into next! At the end of the rafting season two very awesome people, Aleson & Tobias left me with little choice. They gifted me a snowboard so I had no excuse not to try it.

(Beautiful scenery heading up to Mt. Hood)

Being from Minne-snow-da, it’s hard to believe that I have never been into any winter sports. My brother would always convince me to go to the top of a huge hill with him and sled down. I would always get scared and bail out of the sled just to roll all the way down the hill. Needless to say, going fast on snow doesn’t come natural to me. In fact, it scares the shit out of me. But, seeing as I was gifted this beautiful and classic Kokanee snowboard, I am determined to give it a try.

(Typical view of me on the Kokanee)

My friend Kayla got the privilege of giving me my first lesson. Her first question, “Are you goofy or regular?” Since I didn’t know the answer, she gave me a test. She stood behind me and pushed me. Since I stepped with my left foot first, I was probably regular. We spent the next hour on the bunny hill and getting used to side slipping, turning, and keeping me upright. After a few good runs, we decided to meet up with the guys and give a bigger run a try.

(My fearless snowboard instructor, Kayla Applebay)

For the most part it went pretty well. I did take a few good falls and some other random smaller ones. My friends were awesome and made this a very memorable day. By the end of our adventure, I was thrilled and excited to go back for more. Kayla warned me that I have to give snowboarding 3 good days before I can decide if I like it or not. I’m hooked after day one. This weekend I’m looking forward to returning to Mt. Hood Meadows Ski Resort and giving it another try. This may just be my newest winter addiction!


(The crew - Kayla, Jonathan, Me & Tyler)

No comments:

Post a Comment