Friday, September 30, 2011

Change of Seasons

One of the greatest things about the seasonal world… wait a minute… some of you may not know what “seasonal” means. Yes, it’s the change in Mother Nature from spring, summer, winter, and fall but for some of us it’s also a change in our life as we know it. As the seasons change, so do our paths. I was quite taken back by the whole concept of having a seasonal job. When I moved to the Pacific Northwest and accepted a seasonal position at Wet Planet I was excited and nervous. My family and friends thought I was “crazy” for leaving a job and the life I knew to work for a few months in this far away place. But then, what started as a seasonal position turned into year round job. Whew… something I knew, working in one place for an extended amount of time. What a relief! But now, after working year-round in the seasonal industry, I’m ready to throw my life to fate once again and take a chance. I left what I know and love, my job and life in the Columbia River Gorge. Scary… or is it? The only reason I found this incredible job and place is because I took a chance, now it’s time to do it again.

I officially left Wet Planet and the Columbia River Gorge on September 20th. My future is slightly unknown but I do have a “plan”. I will be in Southern Oregon/Northern California until the beginning of October. Then I’m flying to Denver, Colorado to meet my good friend Nicki to go kayaking on the East coast. Our destinations include Asheville, North Carolina to meet a few other friends and the infamous Gauley River. After a couple weeks exploring new rivers (well, new to us at least) I’m heading back to Northern California. I will spend the last couple weeks of October planning for my big adventure… the Grand Canyon. Launching into the canyon on November 2nd, this will be an epic adventure. After 3 weeks of mind blowing scenery I will return to civilization on Thanksgiving Day, November 24th. After this I’m not sure where I will end up. My mother insists I’ll be on her purple couch for Christmas Day. I guess we’ll have to see if that’s what will happen...

If you ever have a chance to take a seasonal position, especially in the outdoor industry, I would highly recommend it. You’re constantly surrounded with new ideas and opportunities to enrich your life. I now have a new appreciation for the change of seasons.

No comments:

Post a Comment